Friday, March 13, 2009

Getting exotic (relatively speaking)



Cos' it happens that this week, we received our very first truffle to work with!!

It was for a truffle sauce to be served with grilled steak, celery flan and potatoes confit in goose fat, as you can see from the above.  The 'sua koo' me, took a photo of the black diamond on my cutting board in class.  Well, I always knew where to buy some in SG, but I guess I'm not doing it any justice if I don't learn how to use it well, but now I know...... Definitely not content to tiny bits that you (don't!) see on your plates when you dine out, I had mine in tasty slivers, and yes, the chef liked my sauce.


Another exotic food item is the foie gras, we'll get to cook some next term, but chef made a demonstration and when we had the tasting... it was so good!
In class this week, we also made some monkfish encrusted in fresh herbs, rolled in bacon, served with braised artichokes.  The other, a hearty meal, called Cassoulet (comme fait à Toulouse) - white bean stew with lamb and sausages, with duck confit, Toulouse-style.

For demo, we had langoustine, and a warm starter salted cod dish called brandade de morue.  Salt cod, once used to be the food of the poor (cos' they could not afford fresh cod) of European countries along the Atlantic ocean, are now a treat for all classes, as cods are now a dying breed.  This salted cod soaked overnight, cooked and flaked, mashed with some olive oil, potatoes and cream, and served with parsley garlic cream.



3 comments:

Bing said...

A truffle meal! I wish I was there!

I love the monkfish with bacon idea. I'm going to try it this week. Was that parsley that you used? And the entire thing was roasted on a baking sheet?

Illy said...

it was parsley and thyme. Heat a pan with some oil, lay the roll on it, and, chuck it into the oven at about 220C, depending on the size, it should take about 20mins.
btw, how did the bavarian cream in 3 chocolate go??
have fun!

Bing said...

hiyah, haven't made the bavarian cream cake lah. that one is a toughie.. requires alot of mood, planning and perhaps a little creative improvising. haha..