Thursday, July 2, 2009

Superior Pastry Exams Practical - My creation: La Dolce Vita











I'm all smiles! I finished ahead of time, it turned out well.... Chef liked the taste. I changed the format of presentation a bit from my trial at PG's apartment. I think we all did very well. Well, this is formally the end of my Pastry training. When I continue with Cert IV in LCB Paris in Sept09, I plan to do so for Cuisine only. As much as I've learnt, and enjoyed, a lot in Pastry, within me, I still feel more for Cuisine.

The interior of the cake is very similar to the one below. However, I totally left out the cherries in the middle layer, and chose to put them on top as deco instead.

==========================================
For our final pastry exams, we are given free reign on creating our very own cake. Only limitations are that it has to be an entremet of 18cm diameter and 4.5cm height.

We are given a list of common cake ingredients, including various fruit purees, nuts, chocs.. and we are also allowed to bring whatever (local) ingredients not listed. Last term, someone made something with gula melaka, someone with ginger.

I thought hard about it, tempted by orange or apricot and choc, or banana caramel something, and decided to come up with a gelato-inspired cake: cassata encased in chocolate joconde sponge with a pecan dacquoise, amarena cherry mousse on top, with a red glaze.


In case you're wondering after all my descriptions, here're some photos of the trial I made this weekend. Enjoy! I call it, La Dolce Vita.











What I'll do differently on the actual day, I will have to include more decorations on top, maybe a simple sugar work, a marzipan modelling, and I'll cut the cherries in halves and place them facing down, in a more even layer. The choc joconde sponge was too thick, I didn't have the right baking tray as we have in school, it should be thinner. Another thing, I'll replace the sprig of chervil (lol) with actual mint leaves which I didn't have when I made it this weekend. My glaze wasn't completely set when I removed the cake ring so it sorta drooped down the sides a bit, not very nice... I'll be more patient next time.

No comments: