Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 3 and 4 of International Influence

Update: Yay, I took the leftovers from school to bring to friends for dinner that night, and they took a photo! It's the next best thing.

Going clockwise from the top, the first dish is partly covered by the wine, it's the fish wrapped in crispy crepe, it's not longer crispy by nowfor sure.

Next to is it the pigeon with kumquats confits, below it the langoustines with mango salsa, on its right is another dish from earlier, lamb parcels, and the last is the beef tataki (like a carparccio). And a little apricot mango chutney from earlier as well. Served with 1999 (or is it 98?) Chinon red, from the cellar (yes, below the very apartment) of my friend!!


Day 3

a) Tuna and Mango, Wasabi Vinaigrette, Ice Plant Salad (extra: coriander and shiso leaf 'pesto')
Nothing really exceptional, except the ice plant is very unique, I've never seen it before. It's like a juicier watercress, with little bubbles of water/juice surrounding the stems and leaves, looks like someone spritzed it with water. It's soft to the bite, slightly 'sweet' and a little sour aftertaste. Very refreshing. The Asian 'pesto' was very good too!







b) Boiled White Fleshed Fish with Green Curry and Galangal

In french, they called it a Tom Kha Gai, but it's not at all! It's like a mix of that and Green Curry.

When I made it, I made it taste more Tom Kha soup, and I made the green come out of blendered herb greens and not so much from the green curry paste. Chef took extra spoonfuls of it!




c) North African Lamb Parcels, Quinoa Risotto, Apricol Chutney

Taste of well seasoned cumin, mint marinated lamb, very soft to the bite. My quinoa risotto was good too, except could do with a little more salt.









d) Fresh Fruit Minestrone with Pearls Tapioca, Tomato Cappuccino and Basil
Very refreshing, nice! You will not be able to achieve the tomato cappuccino without a whipped cream dispenser! Actually this device is getting very popular in modern cuisine with many ideas of foam. While it's very fancy sounding, I think it plays well with its light airy texture vs more denser items on your plate. And the mixture of air gives it an immediate 'lift' of flavors to your olfactory senses.
Ok, now it comes to the highlight of this week!

Day 4 is a workshop, where we have free play to create 4 dishes out of a 'mystery' basket of ingredients. Well, it's not so much a mystery, cos' it was given to us in the folder, but I didn't notice until Day 3, I thought it was a mystery basket till the very morning!

Well, we have to create 1 fish, 1 beef, 1 pigeon (squab), 1 langoustine dish. Use of foie gras is a must, either with the langoustine or in any of the above dishes.

My creation:
a) Beef Tataki with Shiso Leaves, blend of Ginger Sesame sauce.
I seared the sirloin and cut strips of 2mm slices, arranged in a radial pattern, alternating with Jpn seaweed and shiso leaves. Good!
b) Pan Fried Langoustines with Mango Salsa
Juicy mango with shallots, chilli, lime juice and zest. And a small side of salad green. Was good too, until I forgot about the mango salsa! I hurriedly sent it up!
c) Sea Bream Fillets with Mediterrenean Vegetables, wrapped in Crispy Warka (like spring roll skin), served with Light Mango and Curry sauce. Was good!
d) Roasted Squab stuffed with Nashi pears and Foie Gras, side of candied kumquats. Very similar to the quail dish we did in Superior class. Problem is, I served it still a little on the rare side! Booboo. I liked my candied kumquats, but I think I could have done a more alternative jus, maybe a bit more galangal, and could have added a small potato or rice side. Like yeah... do I have time!

Where are the photos, I'm sorry!!! Try to imagine the dishes!!! I didn't have time to take any photos as once the dishes were ready, I sent it up right away!! I wasn't late, but the Spanish girl was so quick! I couldn't lag behind! She doesn't take photos of her dishes at all! When I was chatting with chefs while keeping my tools, she was out of the classroom already! Actually, quite rude...!

Best of all, we had a bottle of champagne at the end of Day 4! Yay!! I didn't realise it was a test! Well done!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

thank for post Lee. i ll follow you soon.

Alina Hew said...

Day 4 is so interesting! The dishes you prepared is sounds very nice....too bad there were no photos. i'm sure you did a great job. well done!

Illy said...

Hi Alina! I managed to get a (not so good) photo of the leftover I brought to my friend's place for dinner, it's updated on the top of this entry, enjoy!

Thanks Max, hope u'll come do it soon!