Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The end of one chapter... and the beginning of another!

Some of you may have known by now, that even armed with a CDI (contrat de durée indeterminé - basically a permanent job offer) I could not convert my titre de séjour étudiant to that of a salarié, due to very vague French bureaucracy, one of the solution was to apply for a work visa back in Singapore, with Hédiard applying as a sponsor from Paris. We agreed they would try and let me know if things went through with the manpower ministry. I bade farewell to the good folks at Hédiard and came back to to Asia in February.

I first went back to my school at LCB to talk to my chef instructors, find out what's happening in the F&B scene, picked up some names and some places to try. Bangkok proved to be quite difficult, I talked to 3 restaurants, Tables was ready to employ me but the HR director later replied that the work visa was not going through. Pl.A. said they would like to take me, but no budget at this moment. Marriott made an offer as well, but we needed to work out the kinks of my package, but by then, the red-shirt demonstrations were picking up speed and we scheduled for a later date for discussion.

Which was just as well, cos' back in Singapore, the Marina Bay Sands was going to to launch a soft opening very soon, and all along I've heard of some of the fine restaurants that were going to open in there even when I was in Paris. I sent in my resume, but it needed quite a bit of jostling to get some attention.

Meanwhile, I attended interviews at 2 local good French restaurants and received offers from both, but I asked to wait a little longer for a confirmation.

In any case, I am glad to let you know that I am now employed in the kitchen at Guy Savoy at Marina Bay Sands! I'm definitely excited by this opportunity, and though I admit I'll have to start at somewhere lower in ranks, but I'm sure there will be chances to do well, and move up along the way. I can't wait to get started in a kitchen again, it has been a while, and my hands (though been cooking for friends this while) are starting to get itchy again! Definitely there'll be incredible things to learn, and build up from my experience and knowledge from Auguste and Hédiard. I remember being fascinated just from reading the menu of the restaurant in Paris, and even that of Le Chiberta. Can't believe I'm in the kitchen and churning those out now!

Allez allez allez!!

No comments: