Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Last day of School!

I realised I forgot to update on my last day of school. Like the first week, we're given a mystery basket of ingredients to use. This time, there is no compulsory dishes nor ingredients, but Chef would like us to do 2 good dishes rather than 3 that doesn't work. Of cos' the 2 dishes has to be of .... 'star' standard! I felt it will be necessary to use sous-vide technique, the 'siphon', and include something crispy.

For starters, I used the pig's trotters to make a Thai-style salad "Laab" - it's basically seasoned with ground roasted rice, chilli powder, lime juice, salt (lack of fish sauce!), and some mint leaves in chiffonade. For foie gras mousse, I cooked the foie gras and passed through a sieve to get a puree, mixed with some cream and put into a 'siphon' to be plated at last minute. Some poivrade artichokes cooked sous-vide. Some salad greens with hazelnut vinaigrette. For crispy, oven-dried cured ham brushed with balsamic glaze.

For my main, I flattened a chicken breast and rolled it up with a salmon centre and bell peppers brunoises, with cured ham. This is quickly colorated and put to cook sous-vide. I made some carrots and celeriac puree by sous-vide which retains its colors and flavors very well! The chicken thighs didn't come in useful, but I dug out the chicken oysters, sauteed it in brown butter and finished cooking in chicken glaze. For crispy, oven-dried chicken skin and a slice of salmon skin. Sauce: Red wine with juniper berries and truffles brunoises!

I'm happy with my results. If I were to do it again, the siphon method for foie gras mousse came out very thick, next time I will just whip it with a whisk, with 'siphon' maybe I could add in some... chicken stock? Maybe add 1 more interesting item on the starter plate..tomatoes confits? For my main, I've not much complaints, but the cured ham was salty, so I think I needn't have seasoned the salmon/chicken. Chef was happy with both our contributions. The Spanish girl made some spanish-inspired dish (of cos!), but her portions were a little too large (but that's how they eat in Spain!), but tasty as well.

There ends my formal culinary training. I will be on an internship from next week at Restaurant Auguste in the 7th arrondisement with Chef Gaƫl ORIEUX. You can read up more on him on the net, he was the second with Yannick ALLENO in Le Meurice (3*) in Paris.
I chose a 1 * place and a smaller kitchen team so that I will be able to have more hands on, and more interaction with the chef.

Thanks for your attention all this while. I hope to put up something interesting time to time in my forage into culinary Paris!


2 comments:

Bee said...

Stay in France for as long as possible. Want to visit while you're still there!!

Leon Koh said...

wow its alraedy the last day of your school!? wish you good luck on your internship!

Hope you have time to take pictures in between your busy work routine!

btw wish to share my latest blog entry with you.. about my niece nini’s ear piercing ceremony.. I love the seris of pictures.. check out at http://hanleong.blogspot.com/2009/10/ninis-ear-piercing-ceremony-at-sri.html