Friday, January 29, 2010

Culinary Internship

It's been a while since I updated my food blog. While my course has ended, it doesn't mean that the learning has. If anything, cuisine is a lifetime of learning and experimenting and discovering.

I think it is appropriate to include the various culinary experience I have gathered post-school.
I know I am late in posting them, so some parts of it have been forgotten, I will try my best to jog my memories as I go along.

I took up the internship at Restaurant Auguste after my Continuing Education at Cordon Bleu. I was put under the starters and dessert section with a Japanese girl who has been working there for almost a year now.

Under the starters, we prepared gougieres, we had langoustines wrapped with verveine in brick sheets (feuilles de brick), and served with either carrot or pea bavarois, little droplets of peas, a borage flower and drizzles of light creamy sauce. We have fresh oysters- shuckled, the shells plunged in hot water and scrubbed clean. We put the oysters back into their shells, and fill up the cavity with a red wine vinegar and shallots reduction. They are served in 6's, on little mounds of rock salt, a little dot of whipped horseradish cream on top of each oysters, and a sprig of shiso sprout - green and red shiso. There was also 'canneloni' of celeriac root filled with tourteau (a kind of crab).

We have a cheese course, I liked the l'Arguiole, 2 slices, served with a few (carefully selected) young spinach leaves, and a confiture which looked and tasted like honey.

There're the chocolate, pistachio and vanilla soufflés, served with speculoos, honey, and orange flower water ice-cream respectively. There was a dessert of blancmanger in creme d'amande 'soup'. There was banana tarte tartin as well.

Under the mains, we have seabass with olives persillade, roasted guinea fowl breasts with aubergines. We also introduced a ballotine of hare, and a square of stewed baby pork. Under garnitures, we had fresh tagliatelle pasta in lobster sauce.

Certainly the menu has changed now. It's a good idea to change your menu often, it keeps your customers coming back, and reduce the monotony of work.

No comments: