Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Soups, Croissants, Brioches




























Last week, we had a week of French soups - classic consomme, french onion soup, and a fish soup, in Pastry, we finally attempted Croissants and Brioches.  I made my own croissants!!  How proud am I of that!?  But it's not easy, I think it's even tougher than the puff pastry that I've done earlier.  The difference is that the dough is fermented (like a bread dough), coupled with butter lamination (like puff pastry), so it's really elastic, and hard to roll up to stretch them to workable sheets
.  So the next time you bite into a well-down croissant, thank your lucky stars.  Mine didn't turn out too bad either!  With a narrow strip of dough, we made pain au chocolat - chocolate croissant, most call it.  There're those squarish icing sugared ones you see in the pictures.

Brioches on the other hand, are not typically my favorites, but Tr
opezienne, a large flat brioche filled with orange flowered water infused cream filling is simply delicious!  The rest of the brioche pictures are as follows:














All in all, it was pretty good.

3 comments:

russel said...

Question? Can you remember everything you have done? You know there's no such thing as a free meal, or in our case, free lodging. We (as in the usual suspects) expect you to cook for us every day when you're back in Jan. Even Kev will come for dinner after work. Can we start picking from the pictures here? And a different dessert every meal too? Haha.....

Illy said...

LOL! But of course! Night after night of endless feasting is guaranteed! I won't remember all the recipes, so I'll have to bring them with me, as well as any tools I'll need. So, start picking the dishes you want, and I can plan for them!
Will be nice to see everyone again!

Bee said...

There're too many choices! Let's do it restaurant style. You come up with 2 or 3 choices per course which you really like and we'll make our pick from there. :p